Aluminum CO2 Tank 20 lb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum CO2 Tank 20 lb

I Thought it would be good to have a spare Argon,CO2 tank. for my mig welder.. I spotted one on Craigs List today. A CO2 20 lb tank for 10.00. Just a couple miles away. i called, the tank was still available. I picked it up. The first thing I noticed is the valve has male threads. My welder has a tapered fitting with female threads. I can buy an adapter that will convert my tapered fitting, to male threads for 20'00. Now am am into the tank for 30.00. which isn't too bad. The tank will probably need to be hydroed. Still ok money wise. Question: Can I get a mig mix put into my aluminum CO2 tank.? I don't want to use straight CO2 for welding. I read it isn't the best for thin material. that's what I am welding. Or should I forget the whole thing, and make a few dollars selling the tank? I did call a welding shop, With my hearing aids I could not hear everything the person was saying. Any thoughts? Stan.

Well, anything is possible. Whether its affordable, or a good idea, is another story. Liquid CO2 pressures are a lot lower (several hundred PSI) than welding bottles (2500 PSI). So yeah, you could pay the $50 or whatever, for a welding supplier to test and certify the bottle to a certain pressure but I'm pretty sure they won't want to go any higher than normal CO2 pressure. I mean just for insurance and legal reasons because playing with that kind of thing can get hairy real quick. Which means yeah, they can put pure argon (or whatever) into the bottle but for damn sure it won't hold as much as a welding bottle. In the end, you could make one hell of a seltzer bottle out of it and be real popular at parties.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

CO2 is CGA 320 connection.
      Inerts are CGA 580.
      Your cylinder is good for CO2.
      CO2 is “low” pressure(700?)
      Inerts are 2000-2200.
      You would have to ask your gas supplier if you can exchange the 20lb CO2 for argon/CO2.

Comment

I elected to use a gas mixer. I buy strait argon and liquid CO2 and blend the gas to feed the MIG. I purchased the mixer on Craigslist for about $100... well below the price on fleabay. The argon can feed my TIG rig or the MIG. Pretty expensive for Home Shop use if you have to pay list price, but if you get a deal on one they work great
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
        paul
        ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
        but you may have to

Comment

My original MIG setup used an aluminum tank of the sort used for soda post-mix machines in stores and such. I got an adapter from the local welding shop (I think McMaster-Carr sells them as well if you are in the US) to be adapt to the regulator fitting. The local shop referred to the CO2 tank as "beverage bottle" I think. It was not too expensive to have it hydro tested, but that was some time ago, not sure what it costs these days. I used straight CO2 for MIG as it was OK for what I usually do.

When I got my TIG machine, I added an argon bottle. I eventually made a Tee manifold with check valves (to keep the gases from backing up and mixing) and so I can do a 75/25 argon/CO2 mix for MIG, which runs much nicer, straight CO2 for MIG or straight argon for TIG. I set the regulators to the same pressure and the individual flowmeters to the proportion I want.

I'm sure it's not as accurate as a real mixer but is plenty close for the non-critical home shop stuff I do. If I am ever doing work where gas mix is critical, I'll just get a bottle of the mix I need and use that.

You could ask at your local gas supplier. The place I use will just swap my tank for something else if I need a different gas or mix and I just pay for whatever stuff is in the bottle.
          Last edited by alanganes; 07-04-2021, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Fire extinguisher places will do hydro testing of o2, Co2, etc.bottles. Call your local fire suppression system company.

Comment

Working...
            X