No announcement yet.

Replacement Welder Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those big old welders will always be around. At one time I talked myself into getting one... got it home and with help got it in the shop. Found out it required a 100 amp breaker to run at the highest setting. Heck all I have in my house is 100 amps! It got sold asap and got one that would run on a standard 50 amp welding outlet. The newer ones are so much more efficient.

PS I just got the UPS tracking number for my new180 and its 6:45 am here!
    wmgeorge
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 11-08-2021, 08:55 AM.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

No joy at the welder repair shop. I won't see my Econotig until midway through December

The tech told me there isn't a lot that can go wrong with a Syncrowave 250. For $100, he'd go through it to check it out. (and I'd wait until Spring) He said no matter how old, you can get parts and upgrades for it. The only killshot would be a bad transformer VVEERRYY expensive.

OK, after all this, a plan.

1. Borrow my neighbor's welder to get the job done.
      2. Keep an eye out for a used Econotig in good shape, or another multi process welder. Patience. Sales happen. It could be an Eastwood, and AHP, a Lngevity, or a used American made welder.
      3. Be VERY cautious on the used welder purchase, or watch every possible review of the new welder.

Comment

Originally posted by John Buffum View Post
        No joy at the welder repair shop. I won't see my Econotig until midway through December

The tech told me there isn't a lot that can go wrong with a Syncrowave 250. For $100, he'd go through it to check it out. (and I'd wait until Spring) He said no matter how old, you can get parts and upgrades for it. The only killshot would be a bad transformer VVEERRYY expensive.

OK, after all this, a plan.

1. Borrow my neighbor's welder to get the job done.
        2. Keep an eye out for a used Econotig in good shape, or another multi process welder. Patience. Sales happen. It could be an Eastwood, and AHP, a Lngevity, or a used American made welder.
        3. Be VERY cautious on the used welder purchase, or watch every possible review of the new welder.
        My new Primeweld shipped this morning UPS from NJ and we all know that means they printed a shipping label this morning and it might go tonight. I could afford the TIG, stick, Mig do it all but did not as I will use this very little. I had an Eastwood plasma cutter and sent it back, not happy at all. I know nothing about the AHP but I have a Longevity stick welder that is wonderful and its got like a 60% duty cycle. I even had it set up for a scratch TIG and it was good.

Hmm just got notice from UPS it will be here Wednesday.
        wmgeorge
        Last edited by wmgeorge; 11-08-2021, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post

My new Primeweld shipped this morning UPS from NJ and we all know that means they printed a shipping label this morning and it might go tonight. I could afford the TIG, stick, Mig do it all but did not as I will use this very little. I had an Eastwood plasma cutter and sent it back, not happy at all. I know nothing about the AHP but I have a Longevity stick welder that is wonderful and its got like a 60% duty cycle. I even had it set up for a scratch TIG and it was good.

Hmm just got notice from UPS it will be here Wednesday.

We All Eagerly Await!

As to the Chinese welder offerings, another piece of advice. Contact their tech support and see what their warranty process may be.
          1. If they do not answer, scratch them off
          2. Ask if they pay shipping to their repair facility, or do you?
          3. Can they do telephone tech support, or is it mail in, only?
          4. Again, search diligently for reviews BEFORE buying. Lots of DOA crap out there.

Yes, Louise, the better ones cost more.

I'm going to finish my project, then revisit this whole thing.

Comment

I have a Primeweld multipurpose TIG Stick Plasma cutter machine for two years and have been very happy with it. Consumables ate me up due to lack of experience, but it's getting better. Consumables are readily available. As I recall, it came promptly and worked right out of the box. I have (slowly) cut 1/2" steel with the plasma cutter with acceptable results, but the thinner the better. Stick worked beautifully with 6010 and 6013. Haven't used the TIG yet, but some aluminum awaits if it will do it. For MIG, I splurged and bought a $1400 Esab Rebel and I'm in love. Don't like Blue Demon wire, will use this up and go back to Lincoln 0.035" solid. Depends on what name brands are available locally at new residence.
            DanK
            DanK

Comment

Yes I did a lot of research before deciding on Primeweld. The owners of the company know welders, download an owners manual and read. Its not a Chinese document but written by the owners and designers of what they sell. No BS, no making videos to send to China and wait 2 weeks for an email and then need to send back to China at your expense the parts. Warranty questions answered by phone 7 days a week. Based in USA, NJ. check them out. If you have the money to buy a Miller or Lincoln then do so.

Video on the TIG welder.. TFS: Primeweld TIG225 AC/DC - YouTube

PS Found this looks like new EconoTIG on Lancaster PA Craigslist.... Miller EconoTig - tools - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)
              wmgeorge
              Last edited by wmgeorge; 11-09-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you already made your purchase and I have heard good things about prime weld machines but bad things about their service. I have had the Eastwood TIG200 for about 7 years now and it has been fantastic. Customer service is top notch with anything Eastwood sells and they ship replacement parts rapidly. Over the 7 year period I have had to replace my regulator once, foot pedal and my torch hose once. In all cases I upgraded the equipment to higher quality pieces and now I am very pleased with my machine. It starts super soft and welds like butter on steel, aluminum and chromoly so far. I only wish It had a Pulse function which the new TIG200 has.

Click image for larger version

Name:	248256393_952024395665623_3039246371268372468_n.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1969501

Comment

Beautiful welds!! Primeweld's service number is answered 7 days a week, right here in USA. All I have heard is rave reviews on their 3 year no BS warranty. Check out the FB Primeweld Users Group.

Comment

I don't know whether to be happy, or disappointed. My Econotig is fixed. A single broken wire, hidden in a harness. The tech found it in 10 minutes. (sigh) No new welder with all the whistles and bells. No "Cleaning" knob. No "Pulse" knob. No minute control of ramp up or ramp down. Just good, solid stick welds, and adequate TIG. And $750 stays in my pocket. $3,800 if I was after a Miller Multimatic 220. Less than 4 weeks in the shop. Authorized Miller repair facility.

Yeah, I'm keeping it.

Comment

Congrats, I guess

My import plasma cutter arrived and the torch only work intermittently. I tore into it and quickly found a poorly crimped wire and was back up and running in no time. More often than not, it's sometime simple that causes something to quit working. The hard part is finding it.

Comment

I may some time sell my Econotig and buy a fancier machine, Eastwood or AHP, but not today. Econotig has been gone over by an authorized service center. Good enuff. TIG and stick. AC and DC. The problem is, it doesn't make coffee.

The loader bucket job is going to get messy, tomorrow. I'm mounting a wire brush on my angle grinder and removing rust. I want to do that before I put all the major parts together. Easier to reach in the open. I'm using "repurposed" (read junk) steel. Wire brush, then vinegar and water to raise the rust from deep cavities, then Varsol, then denatured alcohol, then rusty metal primer. I can always repaint the joints.

Comment

One of the welders I could find in quantity was the Econo Twin. That was the previous version of Econotig. The numbers were close, and the capabilities the same. They looked to be in surprisingly good shape. One was 200 miles away, for $300, and one was 7 miles away, for $800. The $800 machine came with everything except the foot pedal. It even included a half full gas bottle. The $300 one was bare machine.

I could tell it was older, because the Econotig has Dinse connectors, and the Econo Twin has tapered connectors.

There had been, as mentioned, some Syncrowaves out there. Great machine, but way too big. There were a few Hobart professional (read 450 amp) TIG welders. They were BIG money (chuckle) If I ever have space for it, get my Kearney and Trecker 5H, a 14 x 80 Logan, and one of those. Yeah, when I get a 60' x 20' Butler building with a 50 ton overhead crane on rails. Yeah, sure.

Well, though it was a false alarm, thank you for the advice and experiences. It pays to ask people who have been there.

Comment

The last loader bucket I did, I used a stick welder on most of it and a MIG the lighter weight parts. Can't imagine TIG on that job.

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
                              The last loader bucket I did, I used a stick welder on most of it and a MIG the lighter weight parts. Can't imagine TIG on that job.
                              Would take FOREVER! And the ARGON ($$$). At least MIG is FAST.

The Kubota tractor I was looking at, brand new, with loader and backhoe, was $31,000. Yes, $31,000. Same size, but heavier. Tractors aren't cheap.

Don't need a backhoe, but do need the loader.

Comment

Everlast. I came from a Syncrowave 180SD with pulser, which I sold to an employer and never got back.

Got a Power iTIG201 and it was good, use a Lightning MTS255 at work and just traded in the 201 for a 325 AC/DC machine. You get what you pay for and it's certainly not as sturdy as a red or blue machine, but they burn metal well and my friends who have them.and have needed support had good experiences with the company (they'll replace stuff no questions asked mostly)
                                -paul

Comment

Working...
                                X