Small Oxy/gas Torch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Oxy/gas Torch

I bought a torch from a retired jewler/watch repairman that he used with oxygen and natural gas but I don’t have a convenient way to get a source of natural gas into my shop.

I wonder if the torch will work with propane instead of natural gas?

Should be OK, the heat output will be a bit lower I think.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
      Should be OK, the heat output will be a bit lower I think..
      Actually propane will be a little hotter than natural gas, it is lower temperature than acetylene.

Comment

From https://www.pitstopfuels.com/what-bu...s)%20of%20heat.

"While both propane and natural gas burn at the same temperature—3,560˚ Fahrenheit—what you get when they burn is actually quite different. You get more energy with a unit of propane than you do with natural gas. One cubic foot of natural gas generates about 1,012 BTUs (British Thermal Units) of heat."

Sounds like it should work just fine... actually, better than fine.
        SE MI, USA

Comment

I use oxy-propane for brazing, silver solder, heating, and cutting. It works well.

Comment

I fired up the little torch and got a nice little blue flame! Should be perfect for the small welding job that I have to do!

Comment

Propane is not useful for welding but more than adequate for brazing,soldering and heating and cutting. Not so much a matter of flame temperature as it is a matter of rate of BTU release. Too bad, the use of propane would save a lot of money, but you can't argue with physics :>)
              paul
              ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
              but you may have to

Comment

Originally posted by ironmonger View Post
                Propane is not useful for welding but more than adequate for brazing,soldering and heating and cutting. Not so much a matter of flame temperature as it is a matter of rate of BTU release. Too bad, the use of propane would save a lot of money, but you can't argue with physics :>)
                correct! I had to switch to my oxy/acetylene rig to complete the welding job.
                I am going to have to try the little torch with acetylene to see how much of an improvement it will get!

Comment

Propane should not be used for welding, soldering and brazing yes, welding no.

An acetylene/oxygen flame produces a reducing zone near the surfaces to be welded which cleans the surfaces to be joined, an oxy/propane flame does not and should not be used for sound fusion welds.
                  Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                    Propane should not be used for welding, soldering and brazing yes, welding no.

An acetylene/oxygen flame produces a reducing zone near the surfaces to be welded which cleans the surfaces to be joined, an oxy/propane flame does not and should not be used for sound fusion welds.
                    Thanks for the information!

Comment

Originally posted by deltaenterprizes View Post

Thanks for the information!
                      I'll leave you with a citation as well, probably should have done this in my last post.
                      I'm sure there are many others, I grabbed this one at random.

https://www.rexarc.com/blog/acetylen...e-gas-welding/

Welding Process: Firstly: Propane gas cannot be used for gas welding. When acetylene burns in oxygen, it creates a reducing zone that cleans the steel surface. Propane does not have a reducing zone like acetylene and hence cannot be used for welding.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

If you really want something like natural gas, try a methane cylinder. Any welding gas supplier should be able to source it and natural gas is mostly methane.
                        Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

I think propane DOES have a reducing zone when burned with air. I am quite sure of that, and can prove it.

It may not when burned with oxygen.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenry View Post
                            If you really want something like natural gas, try a methane cylinder. Any welding gas supplier should be able to source it and natural gas is mostly methane.
                            The gentleman I bought the torch from was using natural gas, I was looking for a substitute.
                            He only did jewelry repair with the torch.
                            I had a small welding job and wanted to use the small torch, it did not get hot enough with propane so I used another larger torch with oxy/acetylene and completed the job.
                            I will try the small torch with acetylene and see how it works another time.

Comment

Like this one? https://www.riogrande.com/product/Ba...iveTips/500057

I use mine with a little MC bottle of acetylene.

Comment

Working...
                              X