Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint on flux for the inside of stainless tube...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint on flux for the inside of stainless tube...

Have any of you guys used it? I just heard of it for the first time a little while ago.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Never heard of it. What's it for? Welding on the tube? I guess it would be better than nothing but
    the correct way to weld on SS tube is to purge the inside with argon while the welding is taking place.
    The flux might help but it's going to need a long brush to spread it on the inside if you're welding two
    long pieces of tube together...
    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
      Never heard of it. What's it for? Welding on the tube? I guess it would be better than nothing but
      the correct way to weld on SS tube is to purge the inside with argon while the welding is taking place.
      The flux might help but it's going to need a long brush to spread it on the inside if you're welding two
      long pieces of tube together...
      Yes I know the most commonly accepted correct way is to purge the tube. I didn't ask about that. I asked about a product I just heard of and had never heard of before. Thank you for letting us know you haven't heard of it either.

Anybody ever heard of the stuff and/or used it?
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I’d probably just use it, or back purge, or use nothing. There really isn’t any absolutes with this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
          I’d probably just use it, or back purge, or use nothing. There really isn’t any absolutes with this stuff.
          The person who originally mentioned the stuff is doing stainless exhaust pipe. I figured just plug and purge with a tiny weep hole. My next thing was use an expander a telescope it. Still I was curious about the stuff. Depending on properties and use it could be a game changer.

Comment

I’ve heard of it referred to as solar flux, never used it. I think it might work ok. I would use it if the options were either that or nothing but personally if it is something you can back purge that is what I would be doing.

Comment

Solar flux type B it's available on Amazon
              It's all mind over matter.
              If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

I had sort of heard mention of this stuff but never pursued it as I don't have a much need for something like this. But it is interesting. Looking at some of the comments on Amazon someone mentioned that there is info about it on youtube. And so there is. Search Solar type B flux on youtube and you'll find some reviews and such. Interesting stuff.

Comment

Solar Welding Flux

Description: Welding Flux

Solar Flux is a complex chemical compound in the form of a very fine powder. Solar Flux is mixed with alcohol (methanol/methyl alcohol preferred) and brushed on the weld joint. It is formulated to shield the back of the weld joint from oxygen, dissipate heat and unwanted oxides, and to clean the surface of the metal. It will aid in the flow of filler metal over base metal and form a protective barrier to prevent re-oxidation and heat scale.

Type B for stainless steel, (except 309, 310), precipitation hardening steels, chrome-moly steels, other alloy steels with nickel content below 25%.

From Harris website.

Have used it as a 30+ year pipe welder, but only in specific conditions. Always prefer argon purge. However, it does what it is designed to do. Great for small welds as the flux dries and can flake if applied to larges areas a dries prematurely.

https://youtu.be/__n5TA2CP3g

Mr. Tig
                  Last edited by David T; 02-09-2022, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Ive used lots of it. It works reasonably well for single pass welds on SS. It flakes off as you weld so you shouldnt do multi pass welds with it unless you can somehow get in to recoat it for the next pass. And...you really should remove the flux after you weld as it is very corrosive. So ya...back purging with argon is way easier
                    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

"Works reasonably well"

Yup. There's times when it works well enough that,even though you have purging capabilities..... it is a useful technique.

Comment

Working...
                      X