Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Hobart Handler needs new gun?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Old Hobart Handler needs new gun?

    I have an old Hobart Handler 150 (240V) that works fine but need to replace the gun. As many know they haven't made the Piecemaker 14A gun for some time now. My plan is to make a new hose connector down at the drive spool to accept a new style gun (smaller connector size) with modern nozzles and tips. If anyone has some ideas or recommendation on new gun makes please let me know. I have been looking at the Yeswelder Hobart Handler 135/140/175/180 replacement gun on ebay so anyone that has one of these what's your take? I have found a few old style guns for sale but just easier and cheaper (maybe more fun) to make a new hose connector for a modern gun. Thanks for the advice!

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/303606226884

  • #2
    I've handled the gun you linked to and they aren't too bad at all, especially at that price, plus they're Tweco/Lincoln 100L compatible for consumables.

    Another option, and I've done a few of these on friends machines, is to switch the machine over to the Binzel/Euro style connector. Lots of options available in regards to torches for that style of connector as they are getting to be very popular.
    Usually not a big deal to do the conversion.

    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

    Location: British Columbia

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Willy View Post
      I've handled the gun you linked to and they aren't too bad at all, especially at that price, plus they're Tweco/Lincoln 100L compatible for consumables.

      Another option, and I've done a few of these on friends machines, is to switch the machine over to the Binzel/Euro style connector. Lots of options available in regards to torches for that style of connector as they are getting to be very popular.
      Usually not a big deal to do the conversion.
      Hey Willy thanks very much for your advice. I didn't even know there was a Euro type gun and connector so you pointing that out is a real help. Looks like that would be the easiest way to get rid of the old Hobart gun and connector and upgrade to newer types. I would have to machine a new connector to fit a newer US type gun and just buying the Euro would be much easier. Do you have any recommends on a Euro gun you like the best? Thanks again for your expertise and cheers from Arizona!

      Comment


      • #4
        Once the machine has been switched over to the euro style connector I linked to the sky is the limit.
        My main mig machine is an older transformer based 250A Lincoln with their magnum 250 gun on a 15" cable which I'm very happy with. However they aren't cheap, my other 200A Yeswelder has the gun you originally linked to and so far I haven't been disappointed with it, especially given the price, plus being compatible with Lincoln 100L consumables tips/diffusers/ nozzles etc. are available almost everywhere.

        Two I saw on Amazon that you may want to consider is the one you originally linked to only with the Euro style connector.

        https://www.amazon.com/YESWELDER-Wel...s%2C116&sr=8-7

        The other is a 12" unit for a few bucks more that does have from what I've seen, a larger power conductor in the cable and is still Tweco/Lincoln 100L friendly and seems to be built a bit heavier. But I've only handled the torch, I haven't actually used it..
        But yes a lot of options in torches with that style of connector so let your fingers do the walking.

        https://www.amazon.com/150-Amp-Torch...6&sr=8-10&th=1
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

        Location: British Columbia

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Willy View Post
          Once the machine has been switched over to the euro style connector I linked to the sky is the limit.
          My main mig machine is an older transformer based 250A Lincoln with their magnum 250 gun on a 15" cable which I'm very happy with. However they aren't cheap, my other 200A Yeswelder has the gun you originally linked to and so far I haven't been disappointed with it, especially given the price, plus being compatible with Lincoln 100L consumables tips/diffusers/ nozzles etc. are available almost everywhere.

          Two I saw on Amazon that you may want to consider is the one you originally linked to only with the Euro style connector.

          https://www.amazon.com/YESWELDER-Wel...s%2C116&sr=8-7

          The other is a 12" unit for a few bucks more that does have from what I've seen, a larger power conductor in the cable and is still Tweco/Lincoln 100L friendly and seems to be built a bit heavier. But I've only handled the torch, I haven't actually used it..
          But yes a lot of options in torches with that style of connector so let your fingers do the walking.

          https://www.amazon.com/150-Amp-Torch...6&sr=8-10&th=1
          Thanks again Willy I ordered the Euro connector and Yesweld gun you recommended. I appreciate your help!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

            Thanks again Willy I ordered the Euro connector and Yesweld gun you recommended. I appreciate your help!
            Hi and sorry for bothering you. Did you replace it successfully? Would you recommend it? I got 140(specs are here)
            Last edited by FrankMCG; 05-22-2022, 10:55 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Radnor, the generic brand of Airgas, has a gun that will fit it. Im pretty sure that it uses a standard miller style connection to the wire feed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by FrankMCG View Post

                Hi and sorry for bothering you. Did you replace it successfully? Would you recommend it? I got 140(specs are here)
                No bother, just read this, sorry for delay. Yes I like the gun, pretty easy to modify my Hobart so it would fit. Main thing was enlarging the hole in the plastic front cover so as I said pretty easy. Like the gun and all the tips much better than the old one. Glad I did it! Cheers!

                Comment

                Working...
                X