No mulitpass in MIG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More clarity and detail about MIG:
    Both Lincoln and Hobart make good 110v MIG machines aimed at the occasional user. Miller probably does too, but I'm not familiar with their entry-level products.
    I usually tell people looking for a "first welder" and usually they are looking for a MIG, to get one of these. Often on sale around $600. Add a bottle of argon, probably another $250 to own/lease the bottle. And then run .023/,030 wire and be happy. Those are good machines and can do whatever provided one knows their limits and can work around them. You can do multi-pass with preheat using these machines, no problem. But I don't recommend them for flux core at all, especially not the gasless variety. Because they won't have the horsepower to properly do it.

One of the biggest issues I see on the bottom end of the market is a lack of education and training and PRACTICE.
    Welding and doing it well, is not something that can be picked up automatically. It takes effort. It makes me happy when I see someone taking courses and reading up on it, and most of all practicing. Old Fart story: when I got in the trade 1992, I was trained by Airco (now part of ESAB). total 2000 hours, with one hour of theory and 7 hours of hands-on, daily for a year. Before I ever set foot in a commercial shop. And when I finally got hired, they handed me a grinder. For the next two years. I'm still not a great welder, but good enough. I need more practice.

I told the hiring guy at my current job, that I can show any monkey how to squeeze a MIG trigger -- but I'm the monkey that knows how and why to setup a given job in a given way.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

That 110V that failed (as predicted) at flux core welding quarter inch steel, did a great job with 1/8" steel tubing building support frames. Even had enough oomph to blow a hole one time that I then had to fill.....

Classes I am certain make a huge difference. We had an evening class at the local CC. 2 1/2 hours of welding twice a week for a semester. Nothing for an apprentice, but much more than the gum chewing newbie who just bought a bottom line Lincoln at Home depot ever gets.

Best thing about it is getting feedback on what you did. Second best is doing all methods other than gas. And, being shown what a good weld looks like, from outside, and sectioned, is very helpful. So is seeing YOUR weld sectioned
      Last edited by J Tiers; 06-20-2022, 06:25 PM.
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Working...
      X