This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Books:Welding Essentials 2nd edition

I did this series of book reviews for another forum I moderate on. I'm bring the welding books over to this forum.

After receiving the last two books I ordered. And reading one and the sections that caught my eye in the contents of the other.I thought that some of the other members might find them of interest.
    Having 10 or so books on welding text book type and the others. Most bog you down with a lot of info that you will never need if you are an artists/hobbyist or even a certified daily working welder. And they all seem to lack the info that comes up from time to time that we all need.
    I have two candidates that I feel are a must have for the newbe or old hand.

The first is:
    Welding Essentials 2nd edition
    questions & answers
    ISBN# 978-0-8311-3301-6
    by William Galvery and Frank Marlow
    Industrial Press
    Trade paper back

It is in a question and answer format that covers what is the most asked questions on safety, general welding of most types, as the contents page lists. With out all the theory and mumbo jumbo the text books put in.
    In its 500 plus pages it has a great glossary with clear to the point definitions. Good clear illustrations. And a simple to understand safety info. Some fun stuff, ok I'm an fact geek for off beat info. Like what do all those numbers mean stamped on the neck are of the tanks etc.

http://www.industrialpress.com/en/default.aspx
    Is the publishers web site. If you get it from other places make sure you get the 2nd edition as I was told some other venues were selling the 1st edition as the latest. The 2nd ed has some addition information.
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Welding Fabrication & Repair

Welding Fabrication & Repair
    questions&answers
    by Frank Marlow PE
    Industrial Press
    ISBN #0-8311-3123-3
    Again in the Q&A format, Dealing with real world fabrication issues. And tips and insights for solving them. They give clear concise info on the correct terms descriptions. Of steel, piping, tubing, and other stuff we tend not to know the correct terms or use age of scheduling # of pipe/tube and the wall thickness. Again the contents page and the back cover says it all.
    If you weld these two should be on you shelf.
    The publisher web site http://www.industrialpress.com/en/default.aspx

Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2008, 06:53 AM.
    Glen
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Audels Pipefitters and welders pocket manual

Audels
      Pipefitters and welders pocket manual
      by: Charles N. McConnell
      ISBN#0-02-034624-7
      copyright©1997 small trade paperback
      Macmillan Publishing

From soup to nuts these cover a generous amount of information in a small package. Lots of drawings, photo's, charts and tables. Not in depth on any one area, but enough to get through most things that come up and stump the experts.
      As these are for the working in the trade. But are great for the occasional user.http://www.mtroubleshooting.com/ sells them and a number of others
      Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2008, 06:52 AM.
      Glen

Comment

Welding Secrets 2nd edition (Historical context)

Welding Secrets 2nd edition
        by: Hal Wilson
        copyright 1990
        Flyco Machine co.
        ISBN#0-9700554-0-4
        http://www.mtroubleshooting.com/ is were you can get it but.

This 60 pager should rightly be called a welding shop tip book, as more than half are dealing with other shop stuff. The other thing this I believe, was originally conceived and done in the 40's 50's or 60's
        and reprinted in the 90's.
        I know that most work as far as welds go on amusement rides should be done by a cert'ed welder like the flying coaster tracks, and a lot of the other secrets. Should remained for the history books as most of the charts and tables in the appendix are from the Lincoln company.
        And shop work and welding have come far from these tips. Welding truck frames,shafts and everything else. Most are only a short paragraph. There are a lot of B&W pictures that also look and give the vintage feel. Like looking thru the family album at the old slightly darkened pictures from time.
        Again for somebody right of the street,and having an interest in absorbing a lot of shop info, it may be a good buy. But for an old hand it isn't worth it.
        Glen

Comment

Welding Basics An introduction to Practical & Ornamental Welding

Welding Basics
          An introduction to Practical & Ornamental Welding
          by Editors
          Creative Publishing International
          http://www.creativepub.com
          copyright ©2004 Trade paperback
          ISBN#1-589923-139-2

This is one you will see at the local home center, and other places that sell things of a mechanical nature. A slick paper full color, every tool new shot in a studio.(photo) With nary a spark burn in site.
          Covers the standard for a basic intro book. On the types of welding, and cutting along with the equipment needed.

The second sections is 23 shop projects for the beginner level.
          They are simple and clean in design. And could be done to good effect by the old hands to.
          Shop,(rolling weld curtain frame,carts table)
          Lighting,(lamps and candle holders)
          Furniture(coat rack, kitchen stuff, headboard)
          Outdoor(gate,boot brush and arbor).

All in all It is a well written and photographed intro welding and simple projects. If you have people asking about an inexpensive book this is probably the one to fill the bill.

Along with the great projects for the gifting season or all right what are you going to do with all them tools now that you got them.
          Glen

Comment

Oxy-Acetylene welding manual

Oxy-Acetylene welding manual
            by:NCG
            Stock number 400124-28
            copyright©1950
            booklet small format

You may only come across this one at a garage sale or in the sale bin at a flea market. But it is an interesting handy guide. It is chock full of gas welding info with good clear drawings and pictures. Mostly of their brand of product.
            It has good descriptions of all the equipment plus Acetylene generators and calcium carbide.

I don't even know if NCG is still around or what name it is now they may have an update version. You can always ask ypur supplier if their company puts out a booklet.
            Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2008, 06:51 AM.
            Glen

Comment

Audels Welders Guide

Audels Welders Guide
              Question and answers
              by: Frank D. Graham
              Theo Audel & Co
              Copyright©1940
              Hardcover small format

This is another of the books that got me hooked on the subject of welding. It was written at a time when the field of welding was changing and improving rapidly. The advances are amazing when you compare the then to now.
              It is a great look at the past and how far we have come. It does contain loads of info on gas welding that are still good today. Along with Drawings and B&W pictures it is set up in a Question and Answer format with an index of word linked questions so it is easy to use. I have dealt with some of the current Audels pocket trade info books in other reviews. They are a little different in layout and scope.
              Forge and Fire welding was still considered part of the welding art, but was fast being replaced by electric welding in the field.
              It has a brief description of each of the major welding areas at the time.

* Forge & Fire welding
              * Resistance welding
              * Arc welding
              * Carbon arc welding
              * Metallic arc welding
              * Shielded arc welding
              * Atomic Hydrogen welding
              * Gas welding
              * Thermit welding
              * Fusion welding, as it was still up to discussion at this time which version of which society's definition would be used

Atomic Hydrogen Arc welding: In this method an alternating current arc is maintained between two tungsten electrodes,and at the same time, a stream of hydrogen gas is passed thru the arc and around the electrodes.
              the atomic is referring to the change from an molecular state to an atomic state releasing a considerable amount of energy. I believe this was along the lines of a plasma type arc welding system that is no longer used since the advent of TIG.
              As it had a monster of an hand piece but was considered extremely mobile at the time. Because of the fact that the arc is independent of the work so the work doesn't have to be grounded.
              It has a complete chapter on eye protection and what happens and why you need it.
              It is a good asset for the gas welding info, on sheet, SS, copper and other materials as gas welding was the most used system at the time after forge/fire welding due to costs of the equipment.
              Some edition could be at a library near you
              Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2013, 06:03 AM.
              Glen

Comment

The Oxy-acetylene Handbook 2nd-ed

The Oxy-acetylene Handbook 2nd-ed
                Linde,Union Carbide welding products
                copyright© 1943,1960
                Hard cover

Sold as the be all and end book of its time on Oxy-Acetylene. It was used as text book in some advanced welding classes. It is divide into 7 parts and then in to sub chapters and sections of each subject covered.

* Part I General Principles of Oxy-Acetylene Process
                * Part II Ferrous Alloys
                * Part III Non-Ferrous Alloys
                * Part IV Miscellaneous Applications
                * Part V Cutting
                * Part VI Inspection and Management
                * Part VII other info

From covering the history and development of it. The application of the systems. Equipment, everything about the flame,more than you want to know about Oxygen and Acetylene production.

Everything you needed to about the assorted welding of iron and steel and braze-welding.

Non ferrous covers from lead,Aluminum,copper and alloys. nickel and alloys, to magnesium.

Then moves on to bronze-surfacing,hard-facing, wear rod application,Silver brazing heat and flame-treating.

To four chapters on cutting, then on to inspection and management.

To finish up with something I hadn't see before now The air-acetylene flame and its uses, of course at the time I got this I had no use for the presto lite style torch

Considering that gas welding hasn't really changed much since it was written. You could call this book very up to date. Other than the improvements in fluxes and rods. If you come across it snap it up.
                Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2013, 06:05 AM.
                Glen

Comment

Introduction to Welding

Introduction to Welding
                  Ronald F Gonzales and I G Edmonds
                  ISBN 0-06-453303-4 trade paperback
                  copyright©1975
                  Canfield Press

This is a hobbyist type book when it was written. As it only covered stick arc and oxy-acetylene welding. As it is for the beginner and or somebody coming into welding with little knowledge or experience. It goes thru the basics, along with the equipment,metal prep, types of welds. Along with inspection and testing during practice. It has a lot of photos and some drawings so you can see what is going on.
                  It does finish up with, art metal sculpture welding, not an in depth discussion, but more than other books on welding give to the area. The home shop, and about were to go from here. On to TIG and MIG welding.

It does give a pretty good description and info on the solid oxy type welding system. which the younger crowd may not know about. Lucky for me I knew somebody that had one, and heard about the oxygen pellets only lasting for 8 minutes and having to be reloaded.Since I already had the full rig I didn't become seduced by their advertising and purchase a set up.
                  But if I find one in the box with pellets I may buy one now for a collectors /talking item of the good old days

All in all if you are looking for a good step by step of stick and gas welding and cutting. With none of the other welding covered then this is the one for you. *
                  Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-03-2013, 08:59 AM.
                  Glen

Comment

Welding, Principals and Applications 3rd ed

Welding, Principals and Applications 3rd
                    by: Larry Jerffus
                    Delmar Publishers
                    copyright ©1993
                    ISBN#0-8273-5048-1

Well as text books go it was a pretty good read, All though I will say that when ever you are buying a text book type book or one in a field that changes or advances rapidly. You have to make sure the copyright date is recent (3to4 years) or that it has been revised to keep up with the advances.

It has lots of B&W pictures, drawings and diagrams. Along with some color pictures in a section related to the chapters that can use color pictures to show things better.

It probably is on the shelf at your local library *
                    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-03-2013, 08:50 AM.
                    Glen

Comment

Modern Welding Practice

Make sure you get the latest issue

Modern Welding Practice
                      by: Althouse,Turnquist,Bowditch,Bowditch et all
                      Goodheart-Willcox Publishers
                      copyright©1951,1958,1967,70,76,80,84 plus recent editions
                      ISBN#0-87006-433-9

Well what can one say about the book that started it all in welding in high school. The green version, back when the choice was no choice about what book to use as a text.
                      Its covered more than we wanted to know at the time. As all we cared about was making sparks and making cool stuff.
                      It has been up graded when the tech changes enough for welding to become necessary. There is a current newer edition out there now, than either one shown.
                      The latest versions have better B&W pictures and more of them, more drawings in two colors better to highlight the process they are describing.
                      This area of the bookdom is open to interpretation, as everybody seems to favor the one they learned on so to speak.
                      They all cover the welding field from soup to nuts. with charts and stuff that you might need or not.
                      The local library probably have a number of them on their shelfs.
                      You can check them out to see which style you like. Before ordering one as they aren't big sellers at your local book sellers.

If you are looking for a general cover it all books on welding and cutting.These are the ones
                      Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2013, 06:09 AM.
                      Glen

Comment

Gas Tungsten Arc Welding handbook

Gas Tungsten Arc Welding handbook
                        by William H Minnick
                        Goodheart-Willcox co.
                        copyright©1985,1992,1996,2000,2006
                        ISBN#13-978-1-59070-581-0
                        hard cover
                        You can get this one from our sponsors bookstore in the magazine or on the phone.

After much looking around at stand alone and combination welding instruction books. I settled on this one. As it only covered the GTAW, or TIG as it once was called.
                        Looking for something that had all the info on the subject, so I can have the knowledge to make a decision on buying a machine to do the welding I could possibly do in the near term. Along with the pointers from the people here. I figured that it would be a walk in the park!
                        Well It does cover just about everything one could want or need in a book.

* The process
                        * Operation and safety
                        * Equipment
                        * Auxiliary equipment and systems
                        * Shielding gases and regulators
                        * Filler materials
                        * Welding joints and types
                        * Tooling and equipment setup
                        * Manual welding techniques
                        * Covering aluminum,magnesium,copper and copper alloys,steel and steel alloys, stainless steel,nickel,nickel alloys,titanium, pipe and dissimilar metals

Then moving on to semiauto and automatic welding, quality control/inspection,welding repair. Qualification and Certification estimating costs and a good reference section.
                        Since it is a text book for training purposes. It is set up to cover the subject matter in the chapter heading and only that. You don't have to hunt thru a large chapter if you want some bit of info.
                        It also means that if you have no interest in some subject matter. Such as the titanium welding in a bubble with an inert atmosphere you can skip that chapter or section of the chapter with out wondering if you have missed something else.

I will say that this book is up there with the ones that everyone should have on their reference shelf.
                        Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2013, 06:11 AM.
                        Glen

Comment

How to build a Radial Arm Flame Cutter

How to build a Radial Arm Flame Cutter
                          by Richard B Walker
                          Booklet
                          ISBN#0-9615182-0-0
                          copyright©1985

First off this came as a package deal with a copy of the latest slim volumes from the expo. This may be a problem finding. As it is a self published booklet/plans to build this tool.
                          Being done in 1985,and all. The author was located in Irvine California, were he had a shop. He may be known to some on this forum.

* Introduction
                          * Plans
                          * Track Assembly
                          * Carriage
                          * Torch Clamp
                          * Elevation Shaft Swivel Clamp
                          * Mast and Arm
                          * Mast Mounting Base
                          * Setup and Operation

20 pages of instructions, drawings and photos. Covers building it,setting it up and using it booth for straight cuts and radial cuts.
                          Today it is sort of pushed to the back with plasma cutters but was an interesting concept and very clean and simple of design and build . Not to mention the operation.
                          Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2008, 06:49 AM.
                          Glen

Comment

The Complete guide to Jewelry Soldering

The Complete guide to Jewelry Soldering
                            what works,what doesn't and why
                            By Sara M Sanford
                            Lapidary Journal
                            copyright©2004
                            booklet
                            http://www.lapidaryjournal.com/
                            they sell them at the web site.This is silver solder or silver brazing

slim 50 page booklet, That is filled with maybe more than any one wants to know about soldering! But needs to know if you are doing metals either as a jewelery or object artist in metal.
                            Filled with color photos of the bits and bobs of soldering. It is one of those little booklet types that a lot of people would dismiss as not worth a further look.

* Solder
                            * Flux
                            * Torches
                            * Fit and Cleanliness
                            * Joints and Placement
                            * Don't move keeping pieces in place
                            * Basic tools
                            * Redirecting heat
                            * Fire scale
                            * Pickle

Covering all the little things that have come, in the magazine over the years. In the tips and tricks and general questions along with the accumulative wisdom of the editorial staff.
                            From the why's of doing things, to how's and with what's. From the Properties of fuel gases,the different type of torches used either dual or single gas. To the types of anti flux and Heat sink materials and what they do and don't.
                            All in all the PH d course in metals arts soldering.
                            Check out their website they have a very good section on education information in the jewelry arts processes and techniques.*
                            Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-07-2013, 06:10 AM.
                            Glen

Comment

The Pipe Fitter's and Pipe Welder's Handbook

The Pipe Fitter's and Pipe Welder's Handbook
                              by Thomas W Frankland
                              Glencoe Plublishing
                              copyright©1984
                              ISBN# 0-02802500-8
                              Just a side note to JC Hannum, Don't bother looking for your copy you sold it to me

Another pocket sized format just under 4"x6" it is amazing what they can pack into such a small space.
                              Divide into 4 sections:

Basic Trade Mathematics

Starting with the math, and making as painless as possible.
                              Triangles and trigonometry,the set,run and travel
                              Along with all manner of formula for laying out pipe bends
                              from simple to wrinkle bends and everything in between.
                              Linear expansion of pipe,Capacities of tanks,of all shapes.
                              Methods of layout for angles,flanges squares,elliptical
                              holes in sheet metal.

Pipe Fitting Calculations

Calculating offsets,rolling offsets, offsets and around
                              obstructions of all types. A truly bewildering array of
                              offsets.

Pipe Welding Layout

General layout, and turns to the laying out of the cut lines
                              for all manner of fittings and runs. Tees, reducing tees,
                              true Y's, blanking off pipe with orange peel or bull plugs.
                              To a number of methods for laying out angle iron brackets
                              from one continuous length of steel.

Reference Tables

Are filled with the dimensional information on all kinds of
                              pipe and fitting materials.Along with a few of the most
                              useful tables for a pipe fitter

If you do the pipe hand railings, this would be a bonus for you for the double offsets, and all the other moves in pipe that have you scratching your head. And saying How do I do that.
                              Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-03-2013, 09:03 AM.
                              Glen

Comment

Working...
                              X