Control at the TIG tourch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control at the TIG tourch?

I've got some work coming up that will have me crawling around "inside outside upside down".

No place for a pedal! I see the option of "sliders" or rotary amperage control add on's that "tiewrap"/ velcro to the torch, but I've never used any type.

Suggestions and experiences?

No. 9 torch,
    All SS,
    I am sure once I go with the hand control, it will stay for all work unless some significant bench work comes along. Then it's back to the pedal ;-)

TIA!

I have a slider(Velcro type) for my Thermal Arc and it is the onliest way to go when you can't get your foot on that pedal.
    Plain ol Bill

Comment

CK worldwide makes a variety of finger controls.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
        CK worldwide makes a variety of finger controls.
        Nothing worse than a choice ;-)

Comment

How long have you TIG welded? I have had a machine in my shop for better than 10 yrs and cannot for the life of me get to where I can use a finger tip amperage control.......momentary switch, no sweat but no amp control......too many things going on in one hand all at the same time.

I have heard that the CK track style are the easiest to use.
          http://www.ckworldwide.com/rotary.html

Comment

For the life of me, especially given Millers Bluetooth remote, why hasn't one of the programming types developed a voice control for TIG? Up five---down ten. Android in amperage out...

It sounds like you are going to be in a confined space. You need to have an outside partner and breathing air. Argon in a tank is lethal without external air. Have your safety guy who is outside of the tank run the current controls for you.

paul
            paul
            ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
            but you may have to

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike782 View Post
              How long have you TIG welded? I have had a machine in my shop for better than 10 yrs and cannot for the life of me get to where I can use a finger tip amperage control.......momentary switch, no sweat but no amp control......too many things going on in one hand all at the same time.

I have heard that the CK track style are the easiest to use.
              http://www.ckworldwide.com/rotary.html
              Yes, that CK track type is what some other 's call rotary. Then there are the straight slide style. I've used neither, but will need to soon.

As far as "safety" , There will be no going inside any closed vessel at any time. It's a clam shell chamber with the door splitting the tank in half vertically. Only about 18 inches deep.
              the unit is frame mounted, so positioning will be with the operator rather than the work. It's heavy also!

So the response so far :
              Slider 1
              Track type rotary 1
              can't work 1

Seems like it's all a matter of practice with what one has.

Comment

I have my tig set up where you set the amps right at the machine. no pedals I did a lot of roll cage work and large tanks. I did use the thumb control on one tig it worked good to me better then a pedal.

Comment

I have had a few different controls, there are the ones with a linear slide on the back, I dont like those, too hard to get around. Miller has one that has a knurled wheel that is pretty easy to use, it rotates in the same axis as the track one. Miller also makes another rotary that's rotational axis is parallel to the length of the torch. I dont like that one.

The hand control comes in handy. I used one once under a car where a foot pedal would not work. I have used foot pedals in odd positions by operating it with my knee or hand when just doing a fusion weld.

Comment

You might relate,

This is a complete refurb and reconfigure of a Vacuum coating box chamber.
                    There a several leaking water traces, some original weld failures at the cold trap, and then there is the reconfiguration which will have tabs and brackets , standoffs and a port or two added.
                    The tank is too cumbersome to remove from the frame, plus the work is "time and materials" ;-)

Still no place for a pedal. It seems that the "track roller" is the way to go.

"There is no such thing as hell, A man can get used to anything." I'm sure I'll get used to the roller. ;-)

Bob308, the "fixed power" option really is suited to constant material gauge applications. I don't think I can come up with the best setting right off when doing repair work on "point Oh Too Thin" welded to "That's some heavy stuff". (.032 on to 1 inch SS)

Comment

Ah, yeah. At the last place I worked they made some chambers for a local company. Basic box with a flat door and only like a 3/8" flange. Im like "thats not going to work." The engineers said the calculations worked out.

They didn't... muhaha. The doors wouldn't seal, the chamber flexed too much and they got to reweld a lot of it and stiffen it up. The one they copied had a much heavier door flange. Oops! After all the welding they had to put them on the big HBM because the flange was nowhere planar after all that welding.

Yeah, if you are doing a continuous seam on a big tank or something an on/off button works, but when you need to weld something like a 1" dia stainless standoff to a 1/8" wall you really need to be able to control your heat. I think the base plates on my chambers are around 13/16" thick.

Comment

Migatronic have some nice torch bodys with on/off and current control built in.The older ones had 10k pots ..
                        http://www.migatronic.com/product%20.../tig%20torches
                        Parweld ,the tig spares company have some similar ones. Although I'm not sure if either have much of a US presence.

There are a few on US ebay that look like a slimline potentiometer ,in a tube , tiewrapped to the handle. Very cheap to assemble if you know what value pot resistance your machine needs.

Comment

Tigger

Hi I'm only an occasional TIG user, but found the "foot, wheel or slider" controls not to my liking. Made the trigger one shown in the photos. Nothing elegant, just from what was lying around. Could be made smaller and smoother with more effort (money) The trigger starts the arc and controls power as well. Found it to be instinctive in use from an old torch welder's view anyhow!

PIX DID NOT COME THRU try another way
                          http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/J_...u.jpg.html?o=0
                          http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/J_...z.jpg.html?o=1
                          http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/J_...x.jpg.html?o=2
                          see if that works.

Last edited by Juiceclone; 06-12-2015, 03:22 PM. Reason: PIX DID NOT COME THRU

Comment

The slider control doesn't take too long to get use to
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

I have a torch with a little caterpillar track thing, haven't used it yet, we used to just have someone on the set, shout up 5, down 10 or whatever seemed to work when your inside a tank.....
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X