110 V welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 110 V welder

I need to repair some rust area on a 52 Plymouth sheet metal I am working on. I have a torch set up, but don't want my sheet metal to warp. I am wondering if I can get by with a Harbor Frieght 110 v welder. I have a large welder for bigger jobs. I know you get what you pay for. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the HF $100.00 flux core welders . Stan

I tried one. They have VERY limited adjustments, (4 settings, IIRC) so there are only 4 thicknesses where it is set optimally. I did not try it on thin sheet metal. I was able to butt weld 3/16 inch plate.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Cheap welders are frustrating to use. Thin metal makes it worse.

Comment

Chief, how about one of these,
        http://www.praxairdirect.com/Product...10051_65670_-1

Reverse engineered red 135 110v unit.

Comment

big mike, that looks like a decent one. flux core is not a good choice for sheet metal. can't tell you why tho. i had a ASTRO Mig 130 that was italian made and it was great little sheetmetal welder. it was also branded by Mac and others. pretty much the same specs as the praxair unit.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
            I tried one. They have VERY limited adjustments, (4 settings, IIRC) so there are only 4 thicknesses where it is set optimally. I did not try it on thin sheet metal. I was able to butt weld 3/16 inch plate.

Dan
            That's pretty good.... I once had to try to butt weld 1/4" plate with the little Lincoln 110V flux core, and it just would not do it. Just about when I got a pool going, the thing would thermal out. Then the next time it thermaled in half the time, So it was going to be about 1/4" every 30 minutes. Just not happening.

I don't think it would even have done 3/16" decently. Worked great on 1/8" tube though.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              That's pretty good.... I once had to try to butt weld 1/4" plate with the little Lincoln 110V flux core, and it just would not do it. Just about when I got a pool going, the thing would thermal out. Then the next time it thermaled in half the time, So it was going to be about 1/4" every 30 minutes. Just not happening.

I don't think it would even have done 3/16" decently. Worked great on 1/8" tube though.
              I did a lot of reading before I tried. I prepped the pieces by warming them and the edges were beveled. I ended up using the plate as the motor mount for my mill.

Dan
              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

As suggested above, you want MIG (with gas) rather than flux core for thin sheet metal. That means a gas solenoid wired to the gun. You also want a welder that maintains a constant voltage, with that voltage high enough at amperage to do some good. Plus a feed mechanism that's smooth without slips and slops -- working into a liner and gun where things don't hang up. The HF welder does pretty much none of that.

Used versions of the 100 amp Lincoln MIG are commonly available. Get one with a gas solenoid and tank -- maybe $150-300 used -- and you have a chance of success with sheet metal. Spend a bit more on a Lincoln, Miller, etc. in the 175-180 amp class and you'd be good for 1/4" or so steel. After that the stick welder, which I presume you have, can take over.

Comment

Check out the discussion here about the HF 80Amp inverter welder. the thread is the one with 3403 views about 2 pages down. I bought one based on the recommendations here and am pretty happy. I does good with 1/6 and 3/32 rod on thin sheet metal.

Joe B

Comment

you can gas weld the body panels with out warping them. I do it.

Comment

Get a mig that uses gas. If your cheap like me use CO2. Also use .023 or .024 wire. You'll be plenty happy with the results. I've done lots of panels. If your working on a rocker panel that you cannot get to the inside after you weld it closed. Then use a "weld thru coating" what that is is a spray paint that has so much Zinc in it that you can strike an arc right through the paint. It's a high temp coating also. So if you spray it inside the rockers and weld them up they won't rust from the inside. I did that to my 69 camaro about 20 years ago and still no rust.

Comment

Working...
                      X