Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willy
    replied
    It'll start off a weld with that nice sizzling bacon sound, but after a short time (seems to vary with power applied) the sizzle cuts back to a soft hiss and the weld kind of beads up with very little penetration. It does maintain a spark during that time.
    Not saying that this is the problem, but from your description it almost sounds like the wire feed is slowing down drastically. As we all know it is the wire feed rate which controls the amperage so a wire feed speed reduction could be the culprit here. This would be easy to check when the problem occurs just to narrow it down and eliminate that variable.

Does the machine return to normal later, how long? What triggers this problem, arc on time, gun or cable movement?

Leave a comment:

• Dedave
    replied
    Every mig welder I have pulled apart due to failure was because of metal dust shorting the board.

The other thing is that your liner may be dirty. That is real easy to test.

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Sounds like you're right that a cap is failing. Cold does some weird stuff. My old tractor wouldn't start the other day. Cleaned points, replaced the capacitor, have sparks when shorting points, but no fire from 2 year old coil. Tried an old coil that had been in the warm garage, and it fired right up. Maybe moisture gets inside these things from temperature swings.

Leave a comment:

• Yondering
    started a topic Mig welder problem

Mig welder problem

Something's gone wrong with my Lincoln 175 mig welder in the past year or so, and hoping you guys can give some suggestions what to look for. I've been welding for 20+ years, but don't know much about the electrical side of mig welders and am not an electronics guy other than some general basics and theory.

This welder has always worked really well for me in the past, but lately is acting like maybe the duty cycle is really low. It'll start off a weld with that nice sizzling bacon sound, but after a short time (seems to vary with power applied) the sizzle cuts back to a soft hiss and the weld kind of beads up with very little penetration. It does maintain a spark during that time.

I'm guessing maybe some capacitors went bad, or ?? The welder is stored in my unheated garage; our weather is pretty mild here but temps have gone down to about 10-15* F in the last couple winters so maybe something froze? Just guessing wildly there...

Any helpful suggestions appreciated. I do know sending it back to Lincoln may be the best option, but maybe it's an easy fix and I don't know what I don't know.
Working...
X