No announcement yet.

Is brazing sufficient for this repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is brazing sufficient for this repair?

Cracked vise nut. Cast iron. I was just going to braze it. Would there be any advantage to using Ni-Rod instead?

According to the properties sheets, the tensile strength of ni-rod is close to the cast iron itself. Brazing is a bit (30%) weaker. What caused the failure? Bending? Stretching? Compression?

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
      According to the properties sheets, the tensile strength of ni-rod is close to the cast iron itself. Brazing is a bit (30%) weaker. What caused the failure? Bending? Stretching? Compression?

Dan
      It broke in the direction the screw pulls, so it would be a stress fracture in sheer I believe.

Comment

Braze is weaker than the cast iron. Arc welding with nickel, or any other metal, leaves a hard, brittle zone behind the weld. The ideal process would be oxy-acetylene welding using cast iron rod and borax flux.

Comment

Brazing will provide more than enough strength and will be less problematic than welding.

Comment

If you braze it you can probably add a little “extra meat” in the form of brazing to more than make up for the decreased strength.

Comment

If you decide to braze, remember that CI absorbs oil like crazy. You may be surprised by the amount that sweats out. When silver brazing CI, I always flux and sweat out the oil at least twice before applying the braze. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
              Bob

Comment

Is there anybody else that thinks the irregularity of the crack and crumbling edges looks like it occurred in "punky" metal. In other words, it looks like there may have been a weak spot in the metal itself. If that's the case, braze may be stronger than what was there originally.

Comment

No I think you just found the hinge point for the applied stress. I concur brazing would be sufficient. Keith Rucker just did a video where he brazed a good sized chunk of cast iron to an existing member check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIj5ij84qlU

Comment

So how did it turn out?

Comment

Working...
                    X