No announcement yet.

Hexavalent Chromium dangers in welding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hexavalent Chromium dangers in welding!

The mention of the fume danger came up and since this is a topic that can't be stressed or mentioned enough here goes some in on Hexavalent Chromium.

This is a recurring subject on welding and shop forums. Some dismiss the problem and dangers, I don't believe, God gave each of us a nose with the ability to smell all kinds of things! Just so we can say man that smells bad! I was told by a very old Doctor I was working for one time "son the whole point of God giving you a sense of smell is to get your mug out of the nasty stuff your smelling before it hurts you!"

The following is from the fed OSHA site
    on Hexavalent Chromium https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hexavalentchromium/index.html

Chromium hexavalent (CrVI) compounds, often called hexavalent chromium, exist in several forms. Industrial uses of hexavalent chromium compounds include chromate pigments in dyes, paints, inks, and plastics; chromates added as anticorrosive agents to paints, primers, and other surface coatings; and chromic acid electroplated onto metal parts to provide a decorative or protective coating. Hexavalent chromium can also be formed when performing "hot work" such as welding on stainless steel or melting chromium metal. In these situations the chromium is not originally hexavalent, but the high temperatures involved in the process result in oxidation that converts the chromium to a hexavalent state.

Hexavalent Chromium

And contrary to some pronouncements on some welding sites/forums A bandana is no good at stopping noxious fumes, by some of the legends in their own minds!Posted Image

Be safe and not sorry use a welding fume approved respirator or a localized fume extractor
    Here is a new PDF By OSHA Don't laugh as you tax dollars are still paying for it you might as well get your moneys worth wink
    https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OS...47_Welding.pdf Controlling Hazardous Fume and Gases during Welding

They also have some other links that should be of interest to welders whether full time or hobbyists! I'm sure that rake working in the shipyard and me in boilers ops and maintenance can attest. About the need and importance of breathing protection. I have had a number of friends that were pipe covers that have passed from the assorted version of cancer from asbestos.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

There is something about reading the word "fume" (singular) over and over that just seems wrong. Yes, a fume is a noxious gas, but a fume extractor is supposed to remove the fumes from the area. I would not want to exhaust the fume from welding. I would want to remove ALL the fumes.

And then it talks of using thermit for welding. Looking it up on google, it appears that "thermit" without the final 'e' is an older spelling used in the early half of the 1900s. My spell checker does not even recognize the word without the final 'e'.

Can't they get at least ONE english major to look at these things? After all, there are millions of them flipping burgers at McDonalds.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Working...
    X