X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tungsten dipper
    replied
    Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
    Your cooler should be wired to come on automatically when you turn on the welder. You will forget one day...
    It is wired that way, the cooler still has a on/off switch which is taped in the "on" position, so I don't forget.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    My skin usually gets really sun burned before my torch gets too hot to handle, so not an issue

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• LKeithR
    replied
    Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
    ...The only worry I have is making sure the cooler switch is on...
    Your cooler should be wired to come on automatically when you turn on the welder. You will forget one day...

Leave a comment:

• Tungsten dipper
    replied
    Have a cooler on a 210 everlast; one of the best things I have done. The only worry I have is making sure the cooler switch is on.

Leave a comment:

• LKeithR
    replied
    Originally posted by metalfixer View Post
    ...I used a water filter, and used my water cooled torches
    with city water. Worked fine for years, if freezing is not an issue...
    Yup, lots of guys start out that way--some never use a cooler. The advantage of city water is that
    you have clean, cold tap water flowing through the torch--no recirculation. Torch getting a little hot?
    Open the valve a bit more and feed more water through...

Leave a comment:

• shampine1
    replied
    The cable can melt out of the gas hose. Might have done that years ago :-(
    Liquid cooled is GREAT!
    I run glycol. My first was a home built cooler, but when I traded up it came with a cooler that just needed minor repairs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• MattiJ
    replied
    WP-26 that is the largest common air cooled torch is good for one 1 feet bead on aluminium at 200 Amps.
    Uncomfortably hot after that and soon after it starts to smell like toasted rubber.

Welding aluminium (AC) puts lot more heat on the torch and it doesn't take large part that you need to crank the current already to 200 amps.

Water cooled torch has been one of my best investments.
    WP-26 was really bulky and cumbersome to handle compared to WP-20 water cooled torch that has even better capacity.

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    For those of us not yet willing to spring for a water cooled torch...

How much weld can you typically lay down before the torch becomes to hot? IT DEPENDS ON THE AMPS

Is it just that the torch become to hot to handle comfortably with your TIG gloves on? NO, MANY PARTS ARE THERMOPLASTIC AND WILL MELT

If you are not reaching the duty cycle of your welder is it going to damage the torch if you just keep going by switching over to a heavier welding glove?

When you reach the point where its too hot how long do you usually have to wait for it to cool down? YES

I know "it depends" is part of the equation. Environment and current are probably the biggest "secondary" factors.
    The torch has a duty cycle just like the welder has. If your WP17 torch is used over it's rating (150 amps??) for any length of time you will find it softening and maybe melting and possibly burning. A guy on welding web used an AHP 200 with helium and the stock torch (WP17) to weld thick aluminum at full power for an extended time. The AHP did OK, the torch melted.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• metalfixer
    replied
    Air cooled torches are available from 80 amp to 200 amp, the 200 amp torches are quite expensive.
    I notice your location is 'in the desert', I used a water filter, and used my water cooled torches
    with city water. Worked fine for years, if freezing is not an issue.
    Larry
    Last edited by metalfixer; 05-27-2019, 05:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    started a topic Air Cooled

Air Cooled

For those of us not yet willing to spring for a water cooled torch...

How much weld can you typically lay down before the torch becomes to hot?

Is it just that the torch become to hot to handle comfortably with your TIG gloves on?

If you are not reaching the duty cycle of your welder is it going to damage the torch if you just keep going by switching over to a heavier welding glove?

When you reach the point where its too hot how long do you usually have to wait for it to cool down?

I know "it depends" is part of the equation. Environment and current are probably the biggest "secondary" factors.
Working...
X