Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for partnership

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • looking for partnership

    Hi

    I'm a lockpicking enthusiast.

    I designed an unpickable lock, and I am looking to share the design with a professional that would be interested in creating a partnership :
    I would share the design, and the person would create prototypes at the beginning, while we try to find the best possible design, and finetune the prototypes
    (my idea is simple, but the applications can be very diverse)

    As far a I know there are very few locks that are really unpickable, and most "unpickable" locks are picked all the time
    My lock can NOT be picked at all
    Also my lock allows european cylinder designs (which some design like Bowleys' don't) and have advantages like low cost and ease of key duplication

    here is the Bowleys design:


    My lock has nothing to do with this design though.

    Also I know nothing about tolerances and machinism so I would need help on that topic

    Then the idea would be to create a Kickstarter campaign, contact medias, send prototypes to Youtube lockpickers so that they try to pick it, before starting to sell locks to people

    If anybody is interested, let me know

    thanks

    Jeff

  • #2
    In a case like this knowing where you are would be a big help. Most of us are not interested in working
    with a ghost. I don't understand people's reluctance to post at least a general location in their profile...
    Keith
    __________________________
    Just one project too many--that's what finally got him...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
      In a case like this knowing where you are would be a big help. Most of us are not interested in working
      with a ghost. I don't understand people's reluctance to post at least a general location in their profile...
      i'm sorry but it doesn't matter where I live really for my kind of project, we can talk through Skype
      I like in St Malo France

      Jeff

      Comment


      • #4
        You don't by any chance also make guitar picks from milk plastic do ya?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
          You don't by any chance also make guitar picks from milk plastic do ya?
          I don't get it
          are you making fun of my project?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jflb View Post
            ...are you making fun of my project?
            Not exactly. You come on here looking for help to find a partner but your slightly obnoxious attitude isn't
            winning any friends. And for some people, location is important. There are people out there who might be
            interested but only if they could work face to face with you--not all of us are looking for internet relationships...

            Keith
            __________________________
            Just one project too many--that's what finally got him...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LKeithR View Post

              Not exactly. You come on here looking for help to find a partner but your slightly obnoxious attitude isn't
              winning any friends. And for some people, location is important. There are people out there who might be
              interested but only if they could work face to face with you--not all of us are looking for internet relationships...
              I get it

              but i don't need more than 30 minutes on skype to explain the lock, with 3D examples.
              so,no,I don't need to meet the man in person
              it's not 1980's anymore

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jflb View Post

                I don't get it
                are you making fun of my project?
                Not making "fun" of your project at all. I'm sure it will be very lucrative for you. It's just from the perspective of a machinist it's about as appealing as a punch in the nose. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to explain why people haven't been tripping over themselves to partner up.

                People with the "next big thing" have been around for centuries. No offense to you personally, but IMO those people are time vampires to a craftsman, and in short, if I billed honestly for all the minutes wasted on them we'd both be broke. Offering the "partnership" just adds insult to injury TBH. If you truly believe in your product and idea, then back it with your OWN money and time. Farm out the machinery, and pay an honest rate for somebody's time and consultation. Offering the partnership is shifting blame and responsibility right off the bat.

                How much money do you have to back this project. Even if you get somebody to work for $20/hr many hundreds of dollars will be eaten up during the prototype process. And to be honest I'd be dubious of someones skill level and ability to deliver product that would take this on for $20/hr.

                The milk plastic (casein) picks is in reference to another time vampire that pops up on various forums every few years, under different names, and always wants people to hold his hand trying to figure out a better way to make his product that involves tripping over dollars looking for dimes. Your post made me think that he's been watching too much lock picking lawyer on youtube and has come up with a more lucrative idea to get rich quick.

                Carry on. Best of luck with your project. Believe in it, and back it %100.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Location is very important when you propose a partnership. It's a legal term for a contract that is governed by different laws in different countries. I would not enter into an international "partnership" simply because taxes can be hassle and enforcing a contract across borders can be very difficult.

                  Having said that, I have studied locks and locking mechanisms and would be glad to take a look at your design if you'd offer something tangible (Cash works) for my involvement. Building precision devices takes time, and building prototypes of precision devices are even more time intensive. Among other complexities is that every lock that you assemble has to be made so that it can be disassembled and assembled again.

                  Dan
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

                  Location: SF East Bay.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

                    Not making "fun" of your project at all. I'm sure it will be very lucrative for you. It's just from the perspective of a machinist it's about as appealing as a punch in the nose. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to explain why people haven't been tripping over themselves to partner up.

                    People with the "next big thing" have been around for centuries. No offense to you personally, but IMO those people are time vampires to a craftsman, and in short, if I billed honestly for all the minutes wasted on them we'd both be broke. Offering the "partnership" just adds insult to injury TBH. If you truly believe in your product and idea, then back it with your OWN money and time. Farm out the machinery, and pay an honest rate for somebody's time and consultation. Offering the partnership is shifting blame and responsibility right off the bat.

                    How much money do you have to back this project. Even if you get somebody to work for $20/hr many hundreds of dollars will be eaten up during the prototype process. And to be honest I'd be dubious of someones skill level and ability to deliver product that would take this on for $20/hr.

                    The milk plastic (casein) picks is in reference to another time vampire that pops up on various forums every few years, under different names, and always wants people to hold his hand trying to figure out a better way to make his product that involves tripping over dollars looking for dimes. Your post made me think that he's been watching too much lock picking lawyer on youtube and has come up with a more lucrative idea to get rich quick.

                    Carry on. Best of luck with your project. Believe in it, and back it %100.
                    Do you know how many millions lock manufacturers spend in developping pickproof locks? And they don't even succeed
                    Some very expensive locks like Fichet 3D ($700 for a lock) can still be picked

                    It's like i'm offering a cure for cancer but you still want $20/h to develop it in your home lab ?
                    I know anyone needs to eat, but you're gonna make billions with the cure, and you're still short of $20 ?

                    I'm offering one of the very few totally unpickable lock design
                    Every locks like ABLOY disc systems state that they are unpickable yet are picked all the time.

                    Mine can't be picked at all, period. And it has all the qualities than other unpickable locks don't have (price, robustness, european cylinders).

                    I'm not asking for the person to invest huge amounts of money in a worldwide company, but just to develop a few prototypes
                    and raise money from it.

                    i'm looking for people that would have no job right now due to covid but would still want to invest a little bit of time in a nice project
                    If I had the money, I would not look for partners but rather pay directly a machinist
                    But I don't got this kind of funds, otherwise would not mess around.

                    thanks for reading me

                    Jeff

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Send details and drawings so I can tell whether you have covered everything.
                      It's a bit like crypto-analysis: what are the unstated assumptions?
                      Non-Disclosure Agreement of course.
                      Cheers
                      Roger

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So, you want a 'partnership' on a design that youve given no information on other than a claim its "unpickable", youre acting like youd be doing someone a favor by graciously allowing them to build your design, youve immediately got defensive when someone asks the most basic question, and you got unbelievably offended when someone pointed out that someone might want to meet a 'partner' face to face before devoting their own time, tooling and expertise to a fly in the sky because you, personally, dont see the need, all for something that you just admitted you wouldnt be paying for

                        Gotta ask, would you wanna work with something like that?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Is it patented? Who has analyzed you design and determined that you have designed a pick proof system? You offer supposes that someone looking at your models would have the experience and knowledge to determine if your claims are true.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Anybody can undertand how it can be pickproof after i spend 30 minutes explaining the principle
                            ths is not rocket science and you don't need to be a lockpicker to understand why it is unpickable

                            About explaining the lock or showing it, it's not possible :
                            it would be like "show us your cancer treating formula so we see you're not lying"
                            it would be really stupid from me to do that.

                            I can't show any of it without giving it entirely

                            hope you understand

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              First off, Stop comparing this to the cure for cancer. It's not. And that's more insulting than trying to get someone to work for free, or for future riches......If you don't understand that, you have a lot of living you need to do.

                              Second. Look into fusion 360, and the multitude of online tutorials. Model your idea, and make it "work" in cad. It's doable. I know 12 year old kids that have picked up modeling with fusion this year.

                              Third. Pick up a 3d printer, and make a 2x, or 4x scale model of your lock. Refine the design as much as you want/need to to make it presentable.

                              The above suggestions will probably cost you at most $500, and a few months of your time. If you can't invest that in your idea, then don't even bother asking anybody else to. Until you have that, you essentially have nothing but an idea, that's next to worthless. Right now you have ore, and are presenting it at refined value. Actually you don't even have ore, you have an idea where one might find ore, and are looking for somebody to finance the trip to take you there.....

                              Just for shiggles, how much of a percentage did you expect to give up to your "partner"? I'm kind of curious about that.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X