Looking for someone to run some flexible rubber type material on 3D print

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for someone to run some flexible rubber type material on 3D print

Need one part around 30A durometer, the other that same, or a bit harder, maybe up to a 40A. just a couple parts of each

Details if anyone can do it.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Do you know of a filament that will meet those hardness specs? The flexible filaments I'm finding are more like 85A.
    Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenry View Post
      Do you know of a filament that will meet those hardness specs? The flexible filaments I'm finding are more like 85A.
      Ah don't know nuthin about it as far as what you can get, I just know what I NEED. 85A is fairly hard. According to McMaster, it is between shoe heel and caster wheels. I already know 40A is harder than I'd like, I have a piece of it.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        Ah don't know nuthin about it as far as what you can get, I just know what I NEED. 85A is fairly hard. According to McMaster, it is between shoe heel and caster wheels. I already know 40A is harder than I'd like, I have a piece of it.
        From what I've found, it's nearly impossible to find a filament that prints solid objects as soft as you'd like. Perhaps today's printers have problems pushing material that soft through the extruders. Maybe a resin-based printer would be a better choice than FDM
        Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

Could you mold what you need? There are a lot of pourable 2 part silicones in a variety of hardness when cured.
          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I doubt youre going to find any printer filament at 30a, the softest TPU filament i can find with a quick search is 75a and even that is supposed to be a royal PITA to print with because of the softness. Resin gets you a bit closer, but the softest of that that i could find is still only 65a. Something as soft as youre looking for, silicone mold is probably going to be your best bet. Wouldnt be too hard to 3d print a negative of the part, then use that to mold some silicone.

If youre interested in going that route, feel free to drop me a PM. I do a decent bit of both silicone molding and 3d printing, so ive got the stuff on hand. Sounds like an interesting project too

Comment

Done long ago, client got their proto parts, and all is well. Thread is from 2018..................

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

...well thatll teach me to check thread dates. Oops

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  Done long ago, client got their proto parts, and all is well. Thread is from 2018..................
                  Was he able to 3D-print the part or did he go some other route?
                  Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenry View Post

Was he able to 3D-print the part or did he go some other route?
                    He didn't, I did. I was designing and delivering the protos. I ended up cutting and grinding some McMaster rubber to shape, found a part that matched the other one closely enough to use directly.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

He didn't, I did. I was designing and delivering the protos. I ended up cutting and grinding some McMaster rubber to shape, found a part that matched the other one closely enough to use directly.
                      Too bad, I was hoping someone had found a miracle filament or resin.
                      Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
                        Could you mold what you need? There are a lot of pourable 2 part silicones in a variety of hardness when cured.
                        Just a FYI, silicones do come various durometers but RTV type for making molds will suffer from dry rot especially tin catalysed
                        silicones, platinum cured don't seem to suffer from dry rot based on my experience. Polyurethane rubbers would be another choice for parts.

Comment

Working...
                        X