Computer Sound Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Sound Problem

I have a weird sound problem on my computer (A PC with Windows 7). If use the test function, the speakers in the computer are working just fine. However, if I link to a Youtube site and watch the video, there is no sound. Nothing is muted. The same is true with a video conference with Zoom, no sound. Also, the sound doesn't come through from a video clip which has been stored on the hard drive. There is "block" between the audio on the item being viewed and the computer's speakers. Is there some switch which needs to be thrown to get the sound to work? Watching machining videos without sound is rather difficult.

Bill
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Funny, just fixed this for a client. Working from memory here, haven't use Win7 in a little while. Right-click on the speaker icon in the notification area (lower right corner by the clock, may be hidden) and select open volume mixer. You will find several volume controls with one or more muted. Un-mute them.
    It's all mind over matter.
    If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

I checked before I posted my note. There is NOTHING muted in my comp[uter.
      Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

If nothing is muted, it might be an application setting. I suspect that zoom and utube use a web browser. If so, you can check it's settings. If zoom uses a different program, then you need to look at how many sound sources you have installed. As an example, my wife's machine has external speakers, a headphone jack and can use bluetooth headset too. The sound mixer determines which of those connections gets the sound.

Right click on the speaker in the lower right tool bar. There are sound devices there. There are also "sound options" and list of apps that are using the sound. Worth checking those while using zoom or Utube.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Go to Control Panel and Sound and do you have multiple "playback devices" listed? Most computer these days do as they have a playback device for the HDMI port and various other ports. You might have selected "headphone jack" and set it as the default playback device by accident. Pick the playback device that exists in the sound control panel and set that as the default.

If that doesn't do it the device drivers may be hashed. In Device Manager, right click on the Sound device drives, remove them (but don't delete the driver from the PC) and reboot. The drivers will be auto-added back in.

If this is a name brand you can also go to the manufacturers website and download the audio drivers and run the installer to install them. They will just overwrite whatever is there and that may fix it.

Lastly, most name brand machines can be upgraded to windows 10 without cost. Google "download windows 10" then download the program to make install media, and create a USB stick that's an install media then run setup from it. As you may remember Microsoft had a "free upgrade" program from windows 7 and windows 8 to windows 10 that they "discontinued" with enormous fanfare - except that they actually didn't discontinue it. I just upgraded a customer PC to 10 yesterday and it activated no problem. I know I know older is better blah blah blah. Except that you won't get any real help or support from most windows techs on a problem with windows 7 nowadays. The most you might have to do is manually enter the windows 7 product key into windows 10 on a really old windows 7 box that does not have the OEM product key in the BIOS SLIC code area and if you have to do that the key will be on a sticker on the outside of the machine.

If it's a roll-your-own whitebox PC then you likely won't get the free upgrade. Or if it's an older Lenovo. Not sure why (maybe because Lenovo is a Chinese company) but the free activation thing is a crapshoot with them, sometimes it works sometimes not.

Comment

BigBoy1
            did the above post fix your problem
            if not delete and reinstall the sound card driver

Comment

just notice this is an old post

Comment

Working...
              X