New to me lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me lathe

I got the chance to pick up this lathe the other day. Best I can tell it has a 10 inch swing and 18 inches between centers. It has a 5 inch three jaw chuck and some tooling. It is a geared head lathe. I have not be able to find any information on it. If anyone has one or has used one I would like to hear your thoughts on it. I have attached some pictures of it.
    Attached Files

You must be close to me. I saw that for sale.

I have such mixed feelings about it.

Compared to most Asian 10" lathes:
    • It's a gear head. Awesome. Even if it's only 6 speeds that's still decent.
    • 1hp. Nice.
    • Beefy little dude. Compared to the Rockwell 10" I use, it smokes it in terms of bed stiffness, full length cross slide, heavy compound, etc.
    • Full QCGB with metric. Hell yeah.
    But then at the same time:
    • Tailstock has like a negative overhang. I guess so they could get more center distance. That means you have to stick the quill waaay out to use a center support.
    • No feed. I guess using the half nuts for everything works, but man a real clutch and rack/cross-slide feed isn't that hard to do.
    • Looks like the spindle is bolt on? That would suck.
    It's a shame about the last three points because it's almost the perfect mini-lathe. Even still, I bet you'll be able to get a lot of good work out of it. As far as manuals go, since it's harbor freight you might be able to find some back catlog stuff. But it will probably be in Chinglish and not tell you much. Looks like a pretty cut and dry unit though, folks here could probably answer most any question you'd have about it.
    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
      You must be close to me. I saw that for sale.

I have such mixed feelings about it.

Compared to most Asian 10" lathes:
      • It's a gear head. Awesome. Even if it's only 6 speeds that's still decent.
      • 1hp. Nice.
      • Beefy little dude. Compared to the Rockwell 10" I use, it smokes it in terms of bed stiffness, full length cross slide, heavy compound, etc.
      • Full QCGB with metric. Hell yeah.
      But then at the same time:
      • Tailstock has like a negative overhang. I guess so they could get more center distance. That means you have to stick the quill waaay out to use a center support.
      • No feed. I guess using the half nuts for everything works, but man a real clutch and rack/cross-slide feed isn't that hard to do.
      • Looks like the spindle is bolt on? That would suck.
      It's a shame about the last three points because it's almost the perfect mini-lathe. Even still, I bet you'll be able to get a lot of good work out of it. As far as manuals go, since it's harbor freight you might be able to find some back catlog stuff. But it will probably be in Chinglish and not tell you much. Looks like a pretty cut and dry unit though, folks here could probably answer most any question you'd have about it.
      Thanks for your thoughts, I am in Hustonville. I have not had time to check it out completely yet. Not having a feed other than the half nuts was my main concern, almost was a deal breaker. I have other lathes and a mill so I can change that if I want to. Best I can tell it has 12 spindle speeds, a 2 step pulley on the motor and 6 speeds in the headstock . I don't think the tailstock will be a problem for most of the work I would do. I will check out the chuck mounting to day, I sure hope it is not bolt-on-only. I will post what I find.

Comment

looks like a threaded spindle nose with a chuck bolted onto some kind of adapter, perhaps a face drive plate

Comment

That's an early Harbor freight device. It might or might not be a Seig model. I'm impressed that it has a full QCGB. I looked for a manual online and found nothing. I have a lathe that uses the half nuts for driving the saddle, and it works OK for most things because the QCGB lets you switch between threading and turning very quickly.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
            That's an early Harbor freight device. It might or might not be a Seig model. I'm impressed that it has a full QCGB. I looked for a manual online and found nothing. I have a lathe that uses the half nuts for driving the saddle, and it works OK for most things because the QCGB lets you switch between threading and turning very quickly.

Dan
            The only thing I have found is a picture in an old thread of a Herless SSb-5MK that looks very similar. The first lathe that I had 40 years ago was a South Bend 9 inch model C from the thirties that used the half nuts for the feed as well as threading. I made a lot of parts on it. In the all reality I will never use it enough to put much wear on the half nuts and lead screw.
            Attached Files

Comment

Interesting that the saddle is reversed on the Herless. Otherwise looks very similar.
              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                Interesting that the saddle is reversed on the Herless. Otherwise looks very similar.
                Looks like only the apron is reversed. I can't tell by looking at the picture, but there's something under the cross slide that is not on mine. I have been in contact with the person who owns it about getting a better picture of the apron.

Comment

Try this to get the user manual
                  https://www.harborfreight.com/custom...ontact-us.html
                  “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                    Thanks, I will

Comment

Finally got a cabinet and splashguard made and the lathe mounted.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement 1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	737.1 KB
ID:	1902465 Finally got my lathe and mill moved to my basement shop.
                        Last edited by mec9900; 10-01-2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Looking good.
                          “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

good stuff....you'll have some fun with that
                            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Don't know what you paid but I tend to think the older China made machines are much higher quality than the crap the importers pass off to people today. If you paid $500 for it, I'd say you did very well.
                              What kind of spindle does it have? Bolt on looks like. I would CNC it for fun if it was mine.
                              Last edited by RB211; 10-12-2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X