Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unimat milling table damage

Hello:

New member here, thank you for having me. 8^)

Earlier this week I was able to make a long time dream come true: I managed to purchase a small lathe.

Not what I really wanted albeit much better than no lathe at all.

It is an Austrian made Unimat 3 in (apparently) very good shape for which I paid a bit more than I would have wanted to.

On one hand because I could not afford anything else and on the other because it included quite a few hard to find attachments and extras.

The main extra was Unimat x-y milling table, apparently rarer than hen's teeth and quite expensive if found in good shape.
    It is so rare that there is practically no information about it of the web, just silly money prices listing ones that were swept up in a minute.

Probably because it was generally sold along with the Unimat 3 vertical milling attachment and motor as a stand alone milling machine which may be the reason I have not found a part number for it.

Here's a video:

Fortunately, among the extras included in my purchase were the vertical line feed (151110), fly cutter (150100), milling arbor (151070), dividing attachment w/plates (150320) and four slotting tools, but no vise.

I have taken the table apart and managed to clean up most of what amounted to decades of caked grase and grime (still a work in progress) but the poor thing has a horrible scar, the product of a severe misshap, idle hands or the devil's work. 8^/

This is what it looks like from afar:

Click image for larger version  Name:	horror_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.9 KB ID:	2003372

And this is a close up:

Click image for larger version  Name:	horror_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	264.6 KB ID:	2003373

Fortunately, the damage is circumscribed / limited to just one section of the surface and does not extend past the border/edge.

And although I expect that it does not affect how the table works, it is way past horrible.
    Can't imagine what could have happened here, someone was not paying attention.

I have seen a thread from 2015 which would seem to address a similar situation but I did not see fit to resurrect a 17 year old thread.

Notwithstanding, I was wondering if the any of the members of the forum has actually come across this type of repair job and could offer some practical advise on how to go about fixing this.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

G.
    Last edited by grouchinist; 06-06-2022, 10:57 AM.

If it bothers you that badly, maybe fill it with epoxy.

Any type of weld or braze repair runs the risk of warping the table - not worth it in my opinion for superficial damage.

If it were mine, I would learn to live with it.

Comment

Stone it flat and mount your vise over it.
      Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
      http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

There is a scar like that under the vise on my mill! Don't ask me how it got there!

Comment

Epoxy generally works, it you clean it 3 more times than you think you need to first, with acetone or xylene, etc... I did that on a the bed of a used lathe I bought, to keep chips out of the gouge. Overfill, then when set, cut it down flush with a burr file or stone.

For a mill table, you can fill it if you like, but I'd just do what was suggested, stone off the burrs (if any are left on it), and not worry any further about it.
          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Working...
          X