Odd Wilton Vise Behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Wilton Vise Behavior

I needed a bigger vise. I had a 4" Wilton, but it was just not big enough. I bought a used Wilton 645 5" vise. Just the right size.

There is a problem. The bar that connects the movable jaw to the base flexes. When I am sawing on a bolt, or tapping a larger bolt, the jaw will tend to bend away from the workpiece. It flexes in the left/right plane and the rotate in plane. Anything to "get away from the work".

The movable jaw is cast iron. The bar is 1-3/4 x 1-3/4 x 3/16 steel of some unknown formula. There is no weld or pin holding it into the jaw.

I contacted Wilton, but they are puzzled, too.

Has anyone had this problem? How did you fix it? I'd like to fix it, as it's annoying. A new 5" quality vise is $350 - $700.

John: Maybe a pic or two would help us understand what is going on. Is this one of the "bullet" vises?
    Sarge41

Comment

First decent pic I found.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tools/comme...storation_old/

Looks as if the moving jaw is on a piece of thinnish square tubing. Not likely to be a good system. Not a heavy-duty vise anyway, so perhaps flex etc is to be expected?

Mostly vises with an anvil including a horn, are lightweight consumer products. Almost good enough to use.
      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Not a bullet vise.

The 4" Wilton, the bar was, or seemed to be, cast with the jaw. Thick horizontal bar, and only slightly thinner vertical bars. Rigid as a banker's "No!"

Maybe a good, used, Columbian 5". Their bar is the same as the Wilton 4". Maybe sell this one on. Will certainly test any candidate.

Comment

Working...
        X