jet JMD-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jet JMD-15

I just bought a used Jet JMD-15, anybody has any experience with these machines? It doesn't have any accesories, any sugestions as what to buy?

I'm not familiar with that particular machine, but you likely need, as a minimum:

1. Collets -- 3/16", 3/8", and 1/2" will get you started. IMO good collets are worth the money.

2. A drill chuck, either on a 1/2" straight shank to fit the 1/2" collet or on a shank to match your spindle taper, it doesn't much matter either way.

3. A milling vise. I assume what you have is a mill/drill, in which case probably a 4" vise would be about right.

4. A clamping kit to fit the table T-slots. T-nuts, step blocks, clamps, studs, and nuts.

Add to that list: end mills, sets of drills, sets of parallels, a boring head, a rotary table, a dividing head....there are no end of ways you can spend money! Get yourself a copy of the MSC catalog www.mscdirect.com (it's free) and look at all the stuff....
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

JMD 15 Mill Drill

We have a JMD-15 in our lab at work. Pretty much your typical mill-drill. Not bad really. Typical issues with loosing registration when you raise/lower the head on the round column. Ours could use a good clean and lube as the table sticks a bit. Some of our engineers/tech's that use it don't have a clue. Present company excepted of course.

Pretty much everything that SGW said about tooling applies. It's an R-8 spindle so get a drill chuck for that that has the thread for the drawbar. We have a full set of R-8 collets but typically use only the 1/2" and 3/8" most of the time.

We have a drill press vise that is less than optimal but useable. Try to get something better if you can. 4" to 6" (MAX) wide jaws with a way to clamp to the table. Defineately a clamp kit. Those aren't too spendy.

Enjoy!
      Bill
      San Diego, CA

Comment

I have a Jet 16 M/D,and second all the above suggestions.I added a gas strut to the side of the column to help in raising the head.(Two fingers instead of two hands).Also use a small laser pen ,held to the head with magnets,pointed across the shop at a vertical strip.Point the laser at the strip,raise the head,lower the head,point the laser at the strip again and things fit fine.Make your own power feed drives,use small gearmotors,variable speed drills,etc.
        George

Comment

Originally posted by apachehusky
          I just bought a used Jet JMD-15, anybody has any experience with these machines? It doesn't have any accesories, any sugestions as what to buy?
          I had the same model years ago. Sold it to some guy in KY. I was using it mainly as a drill press. Worked great for that. Milling was another matter. I'd have to crank the 2 head bolts down with an air wrench to keep the head from twisting.

"Also use a small laser pen ,held to the head with magnets,pointed across the shop at a vertical strip"

Very good idea George. Wish I had thought of that when I had it. Would have saved me alot of time.

Comment

I have a Jet 15 which has an MT3 spindle taper. This is an older mill, but not all of them take the R8 collets.

Comment

Working...
            X