What is this tool used for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this tool used for?

I picked up a very nice home built disc sander at an estate sale last week. With it was this tool that fits in the mitre slot. Looks like it was meant to follow or copy a pattern? Can anyone explain the working of it to me?

Looks as if it could be used for sanding circular discs. The disc would pivot on the pin in the end of the arm, but would be limited in thickness and diameter. The adjustment range allowed by the curved slot is greater than needed for that application. No idea what the posts are for.
    Jim

Comment

It seems to me that the long arm and pointer might be used with a missing scale of some sort to accurately set the angle/distance. I have no idea what the overall purpose is.
      Don Young

Comment

Are you sure you have it pointing the right direction? If put it into the slot the other way, I could see the upright on the right hand side being used to push the slide if it was on the opposite side. Maybe it will make more sense looking at it in that direction?
        Eric Sanders in Brighton, Michigan
        www.scope-werks.com
        www.compufoil.com

Comment

Originally posted by AiR_GuNNeR
          Are you sure you have it pointing the right direction? If put it into the slot the other way, I could see the upright on the right hand side being used to push the slide if it was on the opposite side. Maybe it will make more sense looking at it in that direction?
          Yes, you are right about the direction (I was not paying attention to the tool rotation when I took the photo). But I'm still unclear as to the use.

Comment

Both picture show incorrect setup. The long arm rests against the long post at the end of the miter slot. That post is positioned so it is closest to the sanding disc. The wing nut in the miter slot, sets the size of the disc, position of the arm. When locked loosely into position, it allows a controlled amount of material to be removed, rounding the rough cut disc or bringing it down to size. Nice shop made tool.

Comment

Check the long arm for a rub spot, that may tell you which side of the post it is intended to be touching.

Comment

Shop Made Circle Cutter

Originally posted by Rosco-P
                Both picture show incorrect setup. The long arm rests against the long post at the end of the miter slot. That post is positioned so it is closest to the sanding disc. The wing nut in the miter slot, sets the size of the disc, position of the arm. When locked loosely into position, it allows a controlled amount of material to be removed, rounding the rough cut disc or bringing it down to size. Nice shop made tool.
                Yes I agree the arm is on the wrong post and the thickness is adjustable by simply raising the arm then it will just,settle on the material (z axis) and thus allowing the 3,4,5, inch stock to be sanded. Good call rosco.... I think i'll make one as i own a 18 inch sander direct drive 5 hp mounted on a 1/2 thick solid top. lol, I love big, and powerful things that can remove parts of the anatomy......

Comment

Working...
                X