Modified Pencil Sharpener Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified Pencil Sharpener Needed

I was wondering how difficult it would be to make a pencil sharpener.

Have you ever noticed for the billions of church pew/golf pencils out in the world, no one makes a pencil sharpener that will sharpen to the same as a factory point?

There is a cheap trinket that came out in the past few years called a stroke saver pencil sharpener. That is the best I have ever found. Of course, its quality is what you can expect from a cheap promotional item and if you buy 10, one might work well.

What I would really like to do is to replace the insert in a battery powered pencil sharpener. Search for this on amazon to see: Stanley Bostitch Minisharp Battery Pencil Sharpener. That model is the single straight blade type. It is easy to get at the insert and most of the time they just pop onto a square shaft that is connected to the gear.

Brian
    Last edited by pencilsharpener; 05-31-2016, 11:02 AM.

This is the best way to sharpen pencils imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKL6elkbFy0
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

Sir John's version:
      http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...9&postcount=14

bob

Comment

The trick to sharpening pencils properly is to have a decent pencil to start with.
        most of the crappy pencils around nowadays, you only have to look at them and the core breaks into a zillion bits inside the wood and every time you try to sharpen them the tip falls out.

Roy.

Comment

Agreed, buy GOOD pencils, they are getting harder to find compared to a few years back, there are LOTS of offshore ones around now that are just cheap crap!!

From what i understand reading about pencils, think "Fine Woodworking" did an article about them awhile ago,- is the good pencils are made from clear old growth cedar, which is getting pricey.

"Lee Valley" tools sells some very good pencils in different hardness ranges.

Comment

The best pencil sharpeners I have found were at stores that sold art and drafting supplies. I haven't been to one since the advent of CAD, but I imagine they are still around. At least in big cities, anyway. They also sold good pencils.

One I found in my 20 year old box of PC drafting supplies (stick on pads and narrow black tape etc.). It is a two piece plastic model with a good metal blade in it. The pencil is inserted in the side and the top collects the shavings. That would be good in church to save the mess. I remember another one I had that was a block of aluminum (billet?). It also had a good blade that was replaceable and an adjustment knob to allow different width points.

Another old technique was to use a piece of extra fine sandpaper, usually glued to a block of wood. This would allow a very nice point to be formed. Sideways strokes while slowly rotating the pencil. But messy.

I did a lot of manual drafting before CAD. But I have never looked back since.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Just hire this guy.
              Dt

Comment

Originally posted by flametamer
                Damn, where was he when we were designing those pencil machines ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

My favorite...........

Comment

Thanks anyways

Last edited by pencilsharpener; 05-31-2016, 11:03 AM. Reason: 2nd attempt

Comment

[QUOTE=legendboy]This is the best way to sharpen pencils imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKL6elkbFy0[/QUOTE

Nothing as consistant as a $50,000.00 pencil sharpener.

Comment

Want to work together on a pencil sharpener project?

I'm interested in making pencil sharpeners, as well. The ones we buy now simply do not last. Interested in working on this together?

Best,
                        Darcie

I was wondering how difficult it would be to make a pencil sharpener.

Have you ever noticed for the billions of church pew/golf pencils out in the world, no one makes a pencil sharpener that will sharpen to the same as a factory point?

There is a cheap trinket that came out in the past few years called a stroke saver pencil sharpener. That is the best I have ever found. Of course, its quality is what you can expect from a cheap promotional item and if you buy 10, one might work well.

What I would really like to do is to replace the insert in a battery powered pencil sharpener. Search for this on amazon to see: Stanley Bostitch Minisharp Battery Pencil Sharpener. That model is the single straight blade type. It is easy to get at the insert and most of the time they just pop onto a square shaft that is connected to the gear.

[/QUOTE]
                        Last edited by George Bulliss; 05-31-2016, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I suspect the helical sharpeners, if I'm thinking of the same thing, would be pretty difficult to modify. I once took one of the crank-type "Boston" pencil sharpeners apart, including removing its two helical cutters. I have never gotten the thing back together such that it makes a concentric point. I presume the cutters must be sharpened in situ, and that is the way they have to be to work correctly.

Can you supply link to a picture of a "stroke saver" sharpener?
                          ----------
                          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Originally posted by SGW View Post
                            link to a picture of a "stroke saver" sharpener?
                            Here ya go ........lol.
                            http://www.amazon.com/ProActive-Spor.../dp/B002IJDOQ8

Comment

It's one of the typical "pencil box" sharpeners, I take it. I guess to make one you'd want to get a tapered end mill of the correct taper, with a very small point. Cut a conical recess in an aluminum block, then mill a flat that breaks into the recess at the proper angle to mount a blade on. You might be able to borrow the blade from the "stroke saver."
                              ----------
                              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Working...
                              X